Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pretty Paintings

The Dutch have a pretty long history of amazing painters and I feel very lucky to live in a city where lots of those works are shown in lots of different musea.


However there's currently an exposition out of town where I badly want to go to.


Kees van Dongen has such a unique style of painting, the brush strokes are somehow special, but you mostly recognize him by his women. Even though they are often a bit extravagant, the paintings are always very calm.


Loads of people love his work, but I know he's not loved by everyone. I suppose, once more, this is a "love it or hate it" kind of style.


But I find his works very intriguing and I really hope I get a chance to see the exhibition.


Thankfully I've already seen some of his works in real life but I'm dying to see more. There is just something so special about seeing art "in the flesh". Computer screens and books can show images very clear, but to see the life sized thing is something else entirely.


Sometimes a painting can have a surprising effect. I remember seeing a huge Kandinsky and even though I never particularly liked his work I loved seeing it in it's true size and glory.

Have you ever have something like that happen? What was your most special "museum-experience"?

4 comments:

  1. woow, these are amazing. i see what you mean by the strokes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these, I'd like to see them in person too!

    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  3. just ask the buyer to email me regarding your purchase and then just leave 1 comment saying you bought something. i will add the extra entries (no need to leave 15 extra comments)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...