Sunday, January 3, 2010


Great Reads

Since I'm running out of food stuff for the time being, I thought I could use my sundays for several topics I love but can't fill every single week. I would love to share some of my favorite books, but right now it'll only get me so far. Still, reading is something I love to do and I thought I could kill two birds with one stone: hopefully getting you excited and motivating me to read more. So be prepared for what you could call a switcheroo Sunday. Food and books for know and maybe more later...

So to start this topic off, Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. (Check out the site, it's lovely, trust me!)


I'll be honest with you and tell you I bought this book partly for the fact that it would look so beautiful in my room, which is white, mint green and pink with one curtain of rose print fabric. I know people say "don't judge a book by it's cover", but I do and am often right. So I picked it up in the store, read the back and figured it could be a great book, and it was. The storyline, however can't be guessed from the cover...

The thing is, the text on the back starts with something like this: "She found her teacher dead - hanging by a piece of electrical cord". If you, as I did, think this is where the book starts you are mistaken, greatly. For this only happens at, say, page 300. Prior to that event it isn't that exciting really but I still thought it entertaining. After that, however, it is really exciting and surprising and just a great story with a marvelous ending. Through outbook you will find beautiful visual aids also drawn by the author who is gorgeous, young and very talented in many fields.


I don't want to bore you with the complete summary, but I can't leave you with this either, so:
The story's about Blue Van Meer who has lived just with her dad ever since her mom died. They move a lot so she's used to switching schools. However her dad decides it'd be nice if she could spend her final year of high school in one school. She there joins an elite group, the Bluebloods, who meet with their film teacher, Hannah Schneider, regularly. They go camping and that's when Hannah comits suicide, the Bluebloods think Blue's got something to do with it because she was the last one to see her alive, while Blue doesn't believe it's suicide and starts her own investigation.

Here's a little trailer they made for it:
There will be a movie in 2011, by the way

Some people don't like the fact that the writer refers to a lot of books in her novel, sometimes even two on one page. They say she just wants to show of her intelligence. I don't mind because it fits in the book, Blue is very clever and quoting from books is something she trained with her dad, who's a professor, which makes sence to me. But if you don't think it's your cup of tea, that's ok too, of course.

Another thing is the book has nearly 700 pages, or 500 depending on the edition (by the 700 paged one, it's prettier ^_^ ), anyway it's a big book. I hope you don't mind big books, I love them, so expect some more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've been looking for something new to read, I shall check this out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...